Sunday, September 11, 2011

Ten Years Ago

Today I sit and reflect on the morning of September 11, 2001.  I had graduated high school that spring. I remember I had just gotten out of the shower when I hear my mom in the other room telling me to come see what's happening (on the tv).  We were both scared.  Scared for the victims. Scared for their families. Scared for the people watching and running.  Scared for our Country. Scared for our lives. Scared for the unknown.
As we sat flipping through the channels to catch any "better" coverage from any other station, I sat in disbelief that something so tragic and "movie like" would really happen to our perfect country and it's citizens.
I remember being in fear that whole week and praying that something so devastating would not happen near family or I. I feared leaving my house, in case I would never see my loved ones again.  I feared going to work at my little ice cream shoppe, because of the "strangers" I didn't know, and what potential some people have that can ruin America.  Yes I may be a little of a worrier, but I learned something from 9/11 about loving people.  I remember being in the Seattle area and there were a lot the Arabic population that felt like they were being discriminated against because of 9/11.
   Why do American's judge so much on appearances?  A true lesson I think we have and could learn from.  There are great people out there, who may not be the same religion as you, or different beliefs, but they believe what they believe is right.  Instead of "mocking" or "discriminating" LOVE for them. LOVE for YOU.

In remembering those who lost their lives, I will always remember that gut dropping sorrow I felt for you and your families. And For those that GAVE your life, because you LOVED our country and our people for who we are... THANK YOU.

No comments: